SMaRT Recycling Center
|Where Do My Recyclables Go?|
Spokane Materials and Recycling Technology Center
Waste Management invested $18 million in its new single-stream recycling facility located on an 8-acre site outside the City of Spokane. The facility opened in October 2012. SMaRT can process 100,000 tons of recyclables per year. This new facility is the centerpiece of a regional strategy aimed at dramatically reducing waste and boosting recycling in the area. The 62,000-square-foot, “single-stream” facility allows residents and businesses to recycle a broader assortment of materials, resulting in dramatically higher recycling and diversion rates. An economic impact study conducted by the University of Colorado’s Leeds School of Business estimated the facility will inject more than $46 million into the local economy over the next five years.
Waste Management is passionate about finding environmental solutions that save money, make good sense for communities and make the world a greener place.
SMaRT Quick Facts and Information
- SMaRT system will process 11 pounds of recyclables per second.
- The new facility, the first of its kind in Washington State east of the Cascades features high-tech equipment, including an optical sorter and a glass crusher with a “hurricane” vacuum system.
- The new system enables residents to use one larger roller cart—similar to clean green carts—for all recyclables, including many materials that currently aren’t accepted for recycling.
- Materials that are collected include: paper products, many types of plastic containers, and a host of other items ranging from clam shells, to jars, tin and aluminum cans, foil, pie tins, and small scrap metal, including old pots and pans.
- The recycling center will have the capability of processing 26 tons of mixed recyclables per hour.
- The SMaRT center is one of more than 100 single-stream facilities WM operates and can process about 250 tons of recyclables per 10-hour shift
- The SMaRT Center, curbside recycling conversion, and CNG fleet launch are all part of WM Spokane’s big and bold commitment to Spokane customers and to building sustainable communities across Eastern Washington.
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
The facility is not open to public drive-in customers but is open to commercial customers. It is located at:
2902 S GEIGER BLVD
Spokane, WA 99224-5400
Tours of the recycling center are available to customers and community groups on a limited basis.
Request a tour